Tips for Talking to Talk Radio About Health Care
Calling into a radio program is a great way to let others know about health care reform. Talk radio has become one of the most influential and effective forms of communication. More than a million Americans call into radio stations in America every year.
Here are some tips on how to get on a program:
- Watch for programming on health care reform by checking the websites of your local stations, particularly public radio.
- Place your call near the beginning or end of the program – it is easier to get on then.
- Be prepared to get a busy signal and keep hitting the redial button.
- You will first speak to a screener or producer who will ask for your name, where you live and what topic you want to discuss.
Here are some tips once you are on:
- When you get on the air, don’t pause – you may only have 20 to 60 seconds to make your point.
- Be brief – get your points in quickly and with punch. Don’t ramble.
- Don’t sound rehearsed even if you have prepared a written statement.
- Speak clearly and firmly, but be natural. Your opinions matter and you want to be taken seriously.
Here are some local radio stations (List of all Maryland stations):
- WAMU 88.5 FM (NPR) – Washington, DC
- G. Gordon Liddy – SIlver Spring, MD
- WARW 94.7 FM – Rockville, MD
- WASH 97.1 FM – Rockville, MD
- WBAL 1090 AM – Baltimore, MD
- WBIG 100.3 FM – Rockville, MD
- WCBM 680 AM – Baltimore, MD
- WCTN 950 AM – Potomac, MD
- WEAA 88.9 FM (NPR) Morgan St. Univ. – Baltimore, MD
- WESM 91.3 FM (NPR) Univ. of MD Eastern Shore – Princess Anne, MD
- WFDM 930 AM – Frederick, MD
- WFRE 99.9 FM – Frederick, MD
- WFWM 91.9 FM Frostburg State Univ. – Frostburg, MD
- WGTS 91.9 FM – Takoma Park, MD
- WHFS 99.1 FM – Lanham, MD
- WIHT 99.5 FM – Rockville, MD
- WLIF 101.9 FM – Baltimore MD
- WNAV 1430 AM – Annapolis, MD
- WOL 1450 AM – Lanham, MD
- WRBS 95.1 FM – Baltimore, MD
- WRC 1260 AM – Silver Spring, MD
- WSCL 89.5 FM (NPR) Salisbury State Univ. – Salisbury, MD
- WTMD 89.7 FM Towson Univ. – Towson, MD
- WWDC 101.1 FM – Rockville, MD
- WYCB 1340 AM – Lanham, MD
- WYPR 88.1 FM (NPR) – Baltimore
- WYRE 810 AM / WRNR – Annapolis, MD